Chinese New Year Cashew Broccoli Stir-Fry
Only 7 simple ingredients, and less than 30 minutes is all you need for a Chinese Vegan New Year with Cashew Broccoli Stir-Fry! We’ve enjoyed it several times this winter so I wanted to share. Recreating our favorite chinese takeout in this vegan whole food, plant-based version of chicken & broccoli stir-fry. Using tender bamboo shoots, crunchy cashews brings taste and texture-ENJOY
- 1 small onion thinly sliced (Shortcut: 3 tbsp Trader Joe's fresh mirepoix)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (Shortcut: 1 tbsp minced garlic)
- 1 large head broccoli (Shortcut: frozen frozen florets 10 oz. florets, about 4 cups)
- 8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 Tbsp ginger grated (Shortcut: 2 Dorot Frozen Ginger Cubes)
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- 2-3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Sesame seeds for topping (totally optional)
FOR SERVING (OPTIONAL):
- Brown rice, quinoa, noodles, but my kids like white rice. (Shortcut: TJ's frozen brown rice)
Start your rice or quinoa according to directions on packaging.
In a large skillet over med-high heat, sauté onion for 8-10 minutes in 3 tbs safflower oil.
When onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and broccoli. Stir.
Add 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth), cover, and let broccoli steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Important: keep an eye on it and add more water/broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out.)
Add cashews and tamari. (Start with 2 Tbsp. tamari and add more as desired.)
- Add bamboo shoots
Stir well and heat another 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is desired tenderness.
Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds over a warm bed of rice or quinoa.