Coconut Cream vs Coconut Milk (canned)
What’s the Difference Between Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream?
Unlike coconut water, which is the clear, natural juice you’ll find if you crack open a coconut, coconut milk and cream are made by boiling the coconut meat with water.
Coconut milk has the consistency of cow’s milk and is made from simmering one part shredded coconut in one part water. Coconut milk is the basis of most Thai curries.
Coconut cream is much thicker and richer. It is made from simmering four parts shredded coconut in one part water. The cream that rises to the top of a can of coconut milk is also considered coconut cream.
Lastly, cream of coconut is a sweetened version of coconut cream, and is often used for desserts and mixed drinks. Because of the added sugar, it is usually not interchangeable with coconut cream.
TOP 5 Coconut Brands to make Dairy Free Whipped Cream from theminimalistbaker.com
- Savoy Coconut Cream – 10/10 – firm on top, liquid on bottom, super fluffy / creamy when scooped out – guar free!
- Nature’s Charm Coco Whipping Cream – 10/10 whipped nicely, used the whole can, subtly sweetened, so delicious.
- Aroy-D – 10/10 – amazingly fluffy when scooped out – little liquid on the bottom. Whips like a dream – guar free!
- 365 Whole Foods Organic Coconut Milk – 9/10 – firm to scoop out, half liquid, not too grainy – blended perfectly, especially after adding some of the coconut water to the bowl.
- Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk Classic – 8/10 – firm to scoop out, ⅓ liquid – whips up nicely, especially with the addition of a little coconut water from the can.