World IBD Day with Lola Snacks
World IBD Day with Lola Snacks:
May 19th 2023 is World IBD Day! We often talk about IBS but not much about IBD.
What is IBD?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease is a collection of disorders that result in pain and swelling in the intestines. The IBD grouping includes Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis which affact the digestive system.
What are the types of IBD?
Inflammatory Bowel Disease has several types including:
- Crohn’s Disease: which can cause pain and swelling in the digestive tract. Cronh’s Disease commonly affects the small intestine and the top part of the large intestine.
- Ulcerative Colitis: Which causes sores and swelling in the large intestine, specifically in the colon and rectum.
- Microscopic colitis: Which causes inflammation in the intestines, this type of IBD gets it’s name because it’s only detectable with a microscope.
What are IBD symptoms?
Like IBS, symptoms can vary in severity and time frame. IBD symptoms come in flare ups, when the symptoms are not occurring the body is in remission.
IBD symptoms include:
- Abdominal pain
- Gas and bloating
- Upset stomach
- Skin Rashes and sores
How can IBD be diagnosed?
To be diagnosed, please reach out to your healthcare provider to talk about your symptoms. You may be suggested one or more of these test for diagnosis:
- Colonoscopy: Which will examine the Small and Large Intestines.
- Imagining Scam: Which can be a CT Scan or MRI, this would check for the signs of inflammation or abscess.
- EUS (endoscopic ultrasound): Which will check the digestive tract for signs of swelling and ulcers.